I finally requested my cover designer to begin work on the first book cover. She actually created it a long time ago, but then I split the book into 3 books. So the cover has to be tweaked, a bit.
Plus, I needed a printed cover done. Took me a while to figure out my font size, gutter, margin, etc. All that was needed in order for the cover to be created the correct size (to fit the spine of the book). I ended up with it being 660 pages long.
The good news is I’m getting pretty fast at compiling my books in Scrivener and then doing the final formatting in MS Word before saving it as a pdf. Quite the learning experience.
My printed proofs finally arrived. They are, in one word, big. And heavy. Okay, 2-3 words.
But, great to see. I immediately saw formatting issues that needed to be fixed. Such as the font size. I need to reduce it from 12 point to 10 point. It currently looks like one of those “big print” books for people with bad eyesight. Which isn’t a bad thing, but for most people you have to cover a lot of space just to read a few words.
The other issue is that if I reduce the font size, this will reduce the number of pages, which will reduce the cost to print the book. And that cost savings can be passed on to the customer.
I’m going to ship the books out to my proof readers this weekend.
Can’t wait to get all this “publishing” stuff done so I can continue writing my books : )
Having to split my book into 3 parts. So the first book will be named something like “Frozen Splinter of Time – Part 1”
I’ve got the printed proof of this first book on its way into my hot little hands. After it gets reviewed for errors (along with the help of others), I’ll submit the final drafts to KDP and CreateSpace for publishing. Then I’ll do the same with the book …….- Part 2 some months after that (6?; haven’t decided). And then part 3 after another period of time. By then book 4 will be near finished (hopefully).
Need to spend part of this weekend changing the content of this site to reflect the changes in my books. Most of it is good, just a few minor changes.
I’m not sure why, but it took me a couple of weeks just to figure out how to format a printed version. Well, yeah, I do know one reason. My book was too long. That is, the max pages in a printed book, for CreateSpace, is 828 pages. Mine was 2,000 plus. Minor issue.
So, I have divided my book into 3 books. Part 1 will come out first (with the current cover). Even after chopping into 3, the books are pretty hefty in size. Large enough that I had to go to 7 inch x 10 inch page format (versus a normal 5×8 or even 6×9).
That was a hurdle to me as I really like her work. Very happy that little detail is taken care of.
So, this weekend I’ll dive into CreateSpace. Make my account, read up on how to use the service, all that good stuff. This is a part of Amazon. The print on demand part. So, I’ll be able to list my book and people will have two options; Kindle or Printed. The printed version is only printed when ordered (thus, print on demand).
I’ll also be able to get printed copies to hand out to family, friends, library (not sure how that works), etc.
This will cause publication of the Kindle version to be delayed as I want to publish both versions at the same time.
I’ve decided to go with a print version of the book at the same time as going with a eBook/Kindle version. Which means contacting my cover designer and begging her to please create me a cover for a print version. I had earlier told her I didn’t need one.
Heh, wrong. Again : )
Finally, i posted the cover (done for me by Jeanine Henning) on the “Books” page found here. Now all I have to do is finish polishing, maybe get someone to proof read it for me, get my mailchimp account setup, figure out how to publish to Amazon, determine if I should wait until I’m close to publishing the second book before publishing the first, and ……..
Heh, the list is long : )